Because Jazz likes it when I talk about him, hah.
Body and Appearance
1. Describe the character's height and build. Is she heavyset, thin, short, rangy? Jazz will tell you he's 5'7". He's really like 5'6" and he's lean, with a dancer's build. As the series goes on though and he's no longer dancing for the Dancing Queen (a drag queen strip club that he was working for juuuuust before he landed a place on the Emperor's Council), he gains a little weight, as he's not really as active anymore.
2. How old is she? At the very start of the series, when Jazz meets Devin, he's 21. At the time of Savin's boyfriend shaming post, Jazz juuuust turned 23. I don't think he makes it to 25.
3. Describe her posture. Does she carry herself well or does she slouch? Jazz carries himself pretty well -- he did a lot of classical dancing as a kid and the habit of posture hadn't exactly left him, but he does slouch when he's pouring over paperwork.
4. How is her health? Is she fit or out of shape? Any illnesses or conditions? Any physical disabilities? Jazz is fairly healthy -- he eats like a young 20something, though, and after a couple of years of not doing as much activity it's catching up to him a liiiiittle. But for the most part he's in shape.
5. How does she move? Is she clumsy, graceful, tense, fluid? Jazz is very fluid -- I'm pretty sure he couldn't be clumsy if he tried. He's graceful when dancing (he was best at ballroom), but generally just -- moves very naturally otherwise.
6. How attractive is this character physically? How does she perceive herself in the mirror? Jazz is standard Blond Hair Blue Eyed White Dude with a boyish face and defined features. He knows he's fucking hot. He isn't necessarily full of himself about it but he does like to flaunt it, sometimes, especially when he's trying to figure out whether the guy he's interested in is interested in dudes. lolol
7. Describe her complexion. Dark, light, clear, scarred? Jazz's got a fairly light and clear complexion. Every once in a while his take-ot habit gets the better of him though. ;)
8. Describe her hair: color, texture, style. Jazz's hair is a dark shade of blond -- it's thick and at the moment it's a big on the long side (it covers his eyes, and he sweeps it to one side when it's styled). He prefers it a little shorter but his partners (particularly Devin) likes it this long.
9. What color are her eyes? Blue; they remind Devin in particular of the sky. ;)
10. Does the character have any other noteworthy features? He does sometimes rock shaped stubble but for the most part he goes clean-shaven. No tattoos or any piercings, though I think he considered a few piercings and just was too chicken to go through with any of them.
11. What are her chief tension centers? His shoulders and neck.
12. What is the character's wardrobe like? Casual, dressy, utilitarian? Bright colors, pastels, neutrals? Is it varied, or does she have six of the same suit? Oohhhh boyyyy
Jazz has like 3 wardrobes. Casual (mostly sweats, basketball shorts, form-fitting t's, leggings. most in solid colors or black). Work (suits, ties, button downs, dress shoes etc -- he sticks with smart, modern cuts and classic colors). And his 'Queen clothes (slinky dresses, skirts, panties, etc -- which he doesn't get to wear much anymore because he isn't stripping anymore, but he does occasionally wear them if he really doesn't want to get recognized while out in public. He passes for a girl pretty easily, after all ;) )
13. Do her clothes fit well? Does she seem comfortable in them? Yeppppp. Even the clothes he wears to be a slug around the house fit him p well, even though he tries not to go out in public in sweats (most of the time. He does do that typical white boy bullshit of shorts and t-shirt in negative degree weather because he is a WHITE. BOI.)
14. Does she dress the same on the job as she does in her free time? If not, what are the differences? Not at alllllll. He likes the way he looks in a suit but he is incredibly casual in dress when not at work.
15. You knew it was coming: Boxers, briefs or commando? Anything and everything though he doesn't wear underwear under sweats/pajama bottoms and he has a preference for boxer-briefs -- and panties when he's trying to excite his partners who happen to be into that kind of thing. ;)
1. What does this character's voice sound like? High-pitched, deep, hoarse? Normally, Jazz has a bit of a "standard" british accent. His voice isn't particularly deep and when in certain excitable states, he can sound highly feminine (Wes has mocked him for this, once or twice lolol).
2. How does she normally speak? Loud, soft, fast, evenly? Does she talk easily, or does she hesitate? Jazz talks very easily and only stumbles over his words on occasion. He's a very good speech writer/giver as well. He's very poised and even when he talks, when he knows what he wants to say. When he's excited, he sometimes speaks in quick, run-on sentence.
3. Does the character have a distinct accent or dialect? Any individual quirks of pronunciation? Any, like, you know, verbal tics? "If I'm being honest," and actually saying the entirety of "you know." His accent is totally normal to him, but Devin thinks it's hotttt. We've started using more british-isms in his speech in general because Sarah started hearing him say it and I couldn't resist lolol Also he has the tiniest fucking hint of a lisp that I think his mother tried to beat out of him when he was a kid (it emerges when he's particularly worked up).
4. What language/s does she speak, and with how much fluency? The common language of the world -- which of course looks and sounds like English because we're writing our shit in English. He's fluent in it and that's about it, though he's been taught various languages throughout his education.
5. Does she switch languages or dialects in certain situations? Nope. Though he has a tendency to adapt the verbal ticks and speech patterns of those he's talking to -- if he knows them well. He'll talk more like Devin when talking to Devin, talk like a politician when around other politicans, talk like Savin if around him a lot, etc.
6. Is she a good impromptu speaker, or does she have to think about her words? Jazz needs to think, some of the time. He can do an impromptu speech if necessary, if it's a subject he's passionate and knowledgable about, but most of the time he needs at least a day or so if it's something that requires research. His speech writing abilities were what originally garnered him the attention of Emperor Casio when he was doing his Imperial Internship.
7. Is she eloquent or inarticulate? Under what circumstances might this change? Jazz isn't necessarily eloquent unless he's purposely aiming to be. For the most part, he's pretty laid back and speaks in layman's terms and isn't overly posh. This changes while he's at work and depending on who he's speaking to.
Mental and Emotional
1. How intelligent is this character? Is she book-smart or street-smart? Book-smart, yes. He's of above-average intelligence and thinks he's smarter than he is. He isn't as well-versed in common sense, though, and is pretty shit at reading people, some of the time.
2. Does she think on her feet, or does she need time to deliberate? It honestly depends whether he can think on his feet or not. If it's for a lie? Nope. If it's for like an emergency situation, he can manage to think on his feet some of the time. But for the most part, he needs to deliberate.
3. Describe the character's thought process. Is she more logical, or more intuitive? Idealistic or practical? Jazz is a combination of the two -- he is, supposedly, a great military strategist -- so he's totally capable of thinking through moves as needed. However, with his interpersonal relationships, he's more intuitive -- particularly with Devin. He does try to logic Devin through his emotions from time to time, as well, but he tries to rely on his intuition. Generally, he's pretty idealistic but at the same time he knows shit is never perfect and never ideal, and he doesn't always consider other peoples' viewpoints.
4. What kind of education has the character had? Jazz has been through the Empire's equivalent of law school and graduated the summer just before his 23rd birthday. Their equivalent of high school ends at 17, their equivalent of a bachelor's at 19. Between 19 and 20 you're allowed to take a gap year -- and at 20 you either decide to go on to specialty school (4 years of education/training) or join the military. Jazz did not take his gap year -- he always knew he wanted to be a lawyer.
5. What are her areas of expertise? What, if anything, is she interested in learning more about? Law, politics. He's particularly interested in foreign affairs and intends to be more involved with it.
6. Is she an introvert or an extrovert? Extroverttttt. He surrounds himself with introverts lololol
7. Describe the character's temperament. Is she even-tempered or does she have mood swings? Cheerful or melancholy? Laid-back or driven? Jazz is fairly cheerful and laid back, but he is also a bit of a Drama Queen and can get very self-centered very quickly and everything is a mess and wrong and and and. But generally his bad moods are easily taken care of with a Devin or a Savin lolol. Mitchel usually exasperates them.
8. How does she respond to new people or situations? Is she suspicious, relaxed, timid, enthusiastic? New situations and people, Jazz tends to have a liiiittle bit of anxiety but he uses that anxiety to basically give himself extra confidence and generally he gets along with most people, as a result.
9. Is she more likely to act, or to react? He's definitely more likely to react, given most situations. However, if he has someone to help calm him and make him think straight, he will step back and act when the time is right to.
10. Which is her default: fight or flight? Fight. Oh dear god is it fight.
11. Describe the character's sense of humor. Does she appreciate jokes? Puns? Gallows humor? Bathroom humor? Pranks? I wish I had access to our RP logs, because the most funny thing to him was Devin commenting very dryly that he'd made a bomb in order to garner the attention of a certain member of the Majerian military (in order to more or less make Murdock not do the thing that'd result in war between the Alban Empire and Cliffton). The exchange basically was:
"What did you do to get Murdock to listen...?
"Oh, just... built a bomb. As you do."
And Jazz died on the spot. His sense of humor is pretty dark and wry and he does engage in a littttle bit of pranking and also bathroom humor. It does not take much to amuse a Jazz, basically. xD
12. Does the character have any diagnosable mental disorders? If yes, how does she deal with them? Jazz has narcissistic tendencies, but for the most part they are not at diagnosable levels. Mostly Devin keeps his dumbass in check and when Devin starts losing himself to his new found magical abilities in the second arc, Jazz's narcissistic tendencies flare up to eleven as Emperor Linda Cruz more or less tries to continue to manipulate Jazz into her perfect pawn and Savin gets neglected as a result.
13. What moments in this character's life have defined her as a person? The day his dad died when he was 7, the moment his mother kicked him out of the house at 17 the summer before he started college, when his first love and best friend committed suicide when they were 18, becoming a member of the Imperial Council at 21, and being arrested for conspiracy to commit treason (22). At the point we're at now, he's about to make Head Councilor but he doesn't know that yet (Lin wants to make sure he's squarely in her pocket, first).
14. What does she fear? Being alone and not being able to be there for his various partners when they need him the most.
15. What are her hopes or aspirations? He hopes to make a difference in the world and at one point even aspired to become Emperor, but quickly realized that he didn't want to quite have that much power and responsibility.
16. What is something she doesn't want anyone to find out about her? He's pretty open about practically everything about himself, but he doesn't want the public to "know" he's poly and dating multiple people at once. Speculating that he's seeing multiple people, fine, whatever, he'll deal with public backlash because he's not gonna just.. not go out with Savin and Mitchel (when he was dating Mitchel, which he isn't, at the current point in their timeline). Once he's joined the Resistance Movement (which still needs a legit name), he doesn't want anyone to know he's involved, obvs, because he is once again, for real, trying to commit treason lawl.
1. Describe this character's relationship with her parents. His father is dead, but they were close when he was a kid. His mother is dead to him, and basically treated Jazz like shit because of his sexual orientation. He has no intention of opening that door back up now that he's a "successful" politician, but I suspect she tried to reach out to him when he was on trial for treason.
2. Does the character have any siblings? What is/was their relationship like? He's an only child and that's probably for the best, tbh.
3. Are there other blood relatives to whom she is close? Are there ones she can't stand? No blood relatives that he's close to -- most of them are very Irish Catholic and therefore are not a fan of how unabashedly gay he is, rly. So he avoids them as a measure of avoiding his mother.
4. Are there other, unrelated people whom she considers part of her family? What are her relationships with them? The obvious answer here are his romantic partners (Mitchel, Devin, and Savin). He has friends, but -- they've drifted apart since he joined the Imperial Council so the only people he can really rely on are his partners. (He does, eventually, come to think of Savin and Mitchel's family as his own, as well as Wes's dad in particular -- but he's literaly juuuust met Savin's parents and hasn't even met Jansen yet).
5. Who is/was the character's best friend? How did they meet? Jazz.. doesn't really have a best friend. He relies on his romantic interests for a lot of the support he needs in life, though he and Mitchel eventually become this with the occasional lingering sexual tension. He met Mitchel through work. His previous best friend, Chris, committed suicide when they were in college together and that kind of impacted how close Jazz would get to people.
6. Does she have other close friends? Not particularly. He used to be close to Lin but right now their friendship is rocky at best.
7. Does she make friends easily, or does she have trouble getting along with people? You either love Jazz or you hate him and there's no real in between, tbh. And he knows it. And he can tell when you're just. not. gonna. like him, and he will do his best to steer clear of you. lolol.
8. Which does she consider more important: family or friends? There's no real difference, to him. Friends are family and partners are family etc.
9. Is the character single, married, divorced, widowed? Engaged to Devin (technically -- they had a 3 month forced separation and he proposed just before it, but he intends to propose again if he ever gets to see Devin in person) and dating Savin.
10. Is she currently in a romantic relationship with someone other than a spouse? Jazz is poly and basically functions on a two partner minimum, it seems like. He's supposed to eventually marry both Savin and Devin. Because he can. ;)
11. Who was her first crush? Who is her latest? Ohhh boy, first crush was on a teacher, when he was 11. He did not know how to process it, at all. Latest crush is def Savin ;) He was the most recent one he met, obvs lolol.
12. What does she look for in a romantic partner? Lord. Um. He looks for someone who's going to be comfortable with the fact that he falls in love with multiple people rather easily. He wants someone to share his sense of humor, his tendency to be fucking grossly affectionate (he and Devin are fucking T E R R I B L E), and for them to support him as best as they can.
13. Does the character have children? Grandchildren? If yes, how does she relate to them? If no, does she want any? 0 children. He currently does not want any. There is an entire AU dedicated to him accidentally knocking up a female friend because he was curious about what it was like to have sex with a girl, and she ends up passing away in childbirth and he and Devin end up impromptu parents, however, to a rambunctious girl named Angel lolol. In that AU it's Devin who's actually closer to the little girl -- because Jazz struggles a little with forming that kind of relationship. However he does adore her and wants to do what's right by her.
14. Does she have any rivals or enemies? Wes as a romantic rival of sorts -- their personalities clash because they have a lot of hidden similarities and rub each other the wrong way. Enemies, well -- Former Emperor Casio, for one, and eventually Emperor Cruz. Mitchel is also his sort of political rival, though that is definitely not by choice and is more by Lin's design.
15. What is the character's sexual orientation? Where does she fall on the Kinsey scale? Jazz is like a.. hm. He identifies as gay, but he's def had a crush or two on random women throughout his life. (it always comes as a surprise when it happens). So he's a 5, I'd say.
16. How does she feel about sex? How important is it to her? He loves sex. A lot. It's also pretty fucking important to him and he does occassionally have like one night stands and stuff even while dating other people, if his partners (he always gets permission) say it's okay for him to.
17. What are her turn-ons? Turn-offs? Weird bedroom habits? Jazz has a whole slew of turn-ons but definitely confidence and a sense of humor. Turn-offs are someone being all up in his business and bossing him around. As far as his bedroom habits go, he has a tendency to fall asleep with the vid-chat projection of whichever partner he's long-distance with at the time (mostly Devin) and his room is... borderline a mess. lolol
1. Do you know your character's astrological zodiac sign? L E O. And he definitely is a fucking Leo.
2. Is this character religious, spiritual, both, or neither? How important are these elements in her life? Jazz isn't particularly religious though he was def raised Catholic. He isn't particularly spirtual either.
3. Does this character have a personal code of morals or ethics? If so, how did that begin? What would it take to compromise it? He most certainly does and he does his best to follow them. I think he developed them when he was a teenager -- and I'm not 100% sure what it entails and I'm pretty sure all it'd take to compromise it is Devin asking him nicely... Actually, honestly, I don't think he ever breaks it? I think it would take wearing him down to his absolute worst to get him to break it.
4. How does she regard beliefs that differ from hers? Is she tolerant, intolerant, curious, indifferent? Jazz's fairly tolerant, but he is a privileged white boy and he is aware he has privilege. He does his best to listen when others' beliefs don't match his, and for the most part he does so out of curiosity. However, when it comes to certain people (coughWescough), he can be a dick and shut them out.
5. What prejudices does she hold? Are they irrational or does she have a good reason for them? He has issues with religion, but the Empire itself is pretty secular and he doesn't knock anyone for holding onto their own belief systems -- he just has no interest in it for himself.
1. What is the character's financial situation? Is she rich, poor, comfortable, in debt? Jazz is comfortable. He has a car loan out but that's about the only debt he has.
2. What is her social status? Has this changed over time, and if so, how has the change affected her?
3. Where does she live? House, apartment, trailer? Is her home her castle or just a place to crash? What condition is it in? Does she share it with others? When Gina was able to command a decent salary, she made a very impractical purchase and bought a home in the Hollywood Hills. It is a 1920's era Spanish style home in pristine condition that has a detached two car garage, a pool, and a hot tub. It is in fact her castle, and she and Carlos have together made it into their castle. It has seven bedrooms - three of which are suite style. One has been renovated into a home studio for Carlos. The other rooms are reading spaces, a closet for Gina, and a pet room where the dogs have their kennels and safe spaces. It is an open and airy space that Gina revels in sharing not just with her husband, but with her friends. They often have parties and people over for dinner.
4. Besides the basic necessities, what does she spend her money on? Gina loves to travel - and loves doing it when she isn't on location and has to be on set rather than enjoying the city she's in. That tends to be an expense that builds up for her. In addition, she spends money on entertaining - wines, good liquor, etc. She tends to buy clothes when she needs them, and high end makeup that doesn't set off her chemical sensitivities. In addition, she does donate money regularly to causes that are important to her.
5. What does she do for a living? Is she good at it? Does she enjoy it, or would she rather be doing something else? As stated above, Gina is an actress. She has worked in film, TV, and stage and is comfortable in all genres (although her deep love is stage.) She is very good at it, and is often recognized for her work even when it is a small role. Beyond that, she loves doing it and is never happier than when she finds the crux of what makes a character tick and then helps to bring them to life. She doesn't want to do anything else with her life, although she wouldn't mind expanding into producing. She acknowledges she's a terrible writer and she'd be a terrible director because she's so focused on character rather than story. So, she likes what she does.
6. What are her interests or hobbies? How does she spend her free time? She loves to surf (as stated above) and she loves to explore her world and spend time with her friends. Gina is a reader, and is the type to return to her favorite books over and over again. She secretly loves to garden but hasn't had the time to really tend one recently, so her vegetable patches are a bit overgrown. But a lot of her free time is spent talking with Carlos, throwing parties, and sleeping since she just doesn't sleep enough.
7. What are her eating habits? Does she skip meals, eat out, drink alcohol, avoid certain foods? Gina is a strict vegetarian and her diet is mostly vegan/plant based. Because of her food anxiety, she has a tendency to forget to eat (especially when she is stressed) and she would often rather sip a beer or a vodka over the course of the evening than get around to making dinner. When left to her own devices, she'll eat veggies and hummus rather than prepare food. She'll go a day without eating anything and not think anything of it until the next morning when she realizes she's hungry - especially when she's on set. She drinks high quality beer, wine, and prefers vodka because of the low calorie count, and her years of tending bar taught her how to make really good drinks. She loves coffee - especially Irish Coffee - and the well made cup of hot cocoa. Carlos is a very good cook and she likes cooking with him, which is good for her health and for their relationship. In addition, she is more likely to eat when she's stoned, and she associates sweets like cupcakes with that state of being. When Carlos was most worried about her health, they'd get high and then he'd bring her cupcakes and she did start to gain weight.
Associations: Which of the following do you associate with the character, or which is her favorite:
1. Color? Teal
2. Smell? The salt of the ocean
3. Time of day? Dusk
4. Season? Summer
5. Book? Prodigal Summer (Barbara Kingsolver)
6. Music? Husband ;)
7. Place? Paris
8. Substance? Cocaine* Note: this is a negative association. I'm working on a scene right now involving it.
9. Plant? Orchids
10. Animal? Dogs